THE 18TH CHINESE BRIDGE—CHINESE PROFICIENCY COMPETITION FOR FOREIGN COLLEGE STUDENTS
2019 PRELIMINARY CONTEST IN THE SOUTHWEST U.S.
Organizer, host and sponsors
Organizer: Education Office of the Consulate General of the PRC in Los Angeles (CGLA)
Host and sponsor: Confucius Institute at the University of Arizona (CIUA)
Date and time
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm, Saturday, April 20, 2019
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
A114 Drachman Hall (1295 N Martin Ave, Tucson, AZ 85719)
Theme in Chinese: 天下一家
Theme in English: One World, One Family
- Select top students to participate in the Chinese Bridge - Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students in China, in the summer of 2019;
- Promote interactions among regional Confucius Institutes;
- Provide an opportunity for college students to mingle and to demonstrate their Chinese language skills and special talents.
- Contestants must be an American college or university student (who was born and raised outside of China and a non-native speaker of Chinese) who is 18-30 years old and currently enrolled in Arizona, New Mexico, southern California, Hawaii, or selected Pacific islands.
- Not a contestant to the Chinese Bridge Final Competition in China last year.
- Participants in the finals must represent the Southwest of the United States. (Note: In principle, the students are required to have the nationality of the country, and if other non-Chinese students are recommended to participate in the finals, they have to be the voluntary representatives)
1. Delivering a self-composed short speech based on selected topics (3 minutes);
2. Answering judges' questions and questions pertaining to Chinese language, history, geography and culture (3 minutes);
3. Chinese culture related Talent showcase (4 minutes) - optional.
1. Deliver a self-composed short speech in Mandarin Chinese with the theme “天下一家 (One World, One Family)”. Contestants are free to develop content based on their own language, culture learning and life experiences. The speech must be about 3 minutes in length.
2. Answer judges’ questions pertaining to Chinese language, history, geography and culture (3 minutes). 3. Participants can refer to related questions at the end of this page.
3. Chinese songs, dance, musical instruments, calligraphy, paintings, paper-cutting, martial arts, folk arts, acrobatics etc. Chinese culture related 2-4 minute talent show. This talent show performance will help the participant gain extra points as part of the final results of the contest.
♦Applicants may skip part 3. However, only those who perform in all three parts are eligible for the top three prizes.
- 1 first place, 2 second place, 3 third place holders from each group.
- First and second prize winners from the advanced group will have the opportunity to be selected to participate in the 2019 18th Chinese Bridge Competition for Foreign College Students in China and receive a scholarship to study in China.
- Summer camp opportunities in China and scholarships for Chinese study may also be available for other winners.
1. Please scan and email all required materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 5th, 2019. Registration forms are available on this page.
2. Each university/college may enter up to three students for the contest. Individual universities/colleges should decide how their participants are selected (e.g., holding a preliminary school-wide speech contest).
3. There will be two categories: 1) an Intermediate Group for students who have studied Chinese for less than 3 years. 2) an Advanced Group for those who have studied Chinese for more than 3 years or have resided in China for more than 6 months
4. Confucius Institute and the main instructor have to verify all responsible registered students’ school enrollment status. Students who do not meet the competition requirements will not be eligible to participate in the contest. Organizer and host Institute reserve the right to ask for eligibility proof when it's needed.
5. Please submit the packet of contestant's material before April 7th, including the contestant's daily life photo, self-introduction, short video clip about him/her (optional), and most importantly the background music (in mp3 format) and/or background screen image. All these materials are to be zipped and email to email@example.com. If the zip file is too large to handle through email, please contact us at 520-626-5124.
6. Please be advised that contestants shall not mention their school, grade, Chinese teacher or any other information related to their identity. Violation of this rule will result in a deduction of 5 points from the contestant’s total score.
The organizer and host of this competition will invite experts in language, culture and arts to be referees for the contest.
A. 西安 B. 北京 C. 洛阳
参考答案： A. 西安
A114 Drachman Hall,
1295 N Martin Ave,
- 年龄18 岁至30 岁、具有外国国籍、在国外出生并成长、母语为非汉语的外国高校在校生。(美国西南地区: 亚利桑那州，新墨西哥，南加州，夏威夷，或个别太平洋岛屿)
1. 自备的备选话题演讲 （三分钟），今年汉语桥比赛的主题是“天下一家”。
西安 B.北京 C. 洛阳
参考答案： A 西安