In order to cultivate qualified TCSOL (Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages) teachers and facilitate Chinese cultural promotion worldwide, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarships” program and entrust overseas Confucius Institutes (Classroom) and some Chinese Language Test centers (hereinafter referred to as “Recommending Institutions”) to recommend outstanding students, scholars and TCSOL teachers to pursue study in universities in China (hereinafter referred to as “Host Institutions”). Tianjin University (TJU), as one of the Host Institutions, welcomes applicants all over the world to study at TJU.
I. Category & Eligibility
Application is open to applicant who owns a non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 18 and 35, in good physical and mental health and has no bad behavior records (applicant who is currently a TCSOL teacher shall not exceed the age limit of 45).
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree Students in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)：This category provides a sponsorship no more than 2 academic years. Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, a minimum score of 210 in HSK
Test (Level 5) for full scholarship and a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 5) for partial scholarship. All the applicants should pass HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicant who is able to provide notarized employment agreement upon graduation has priority of admission.
2. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students（TCSOL）: This category provides full
scholarship for 11 months to TCSOL teachers and students (Chinese-related majors) who prepare to apply for Master’s Degree in MTCSOL. Applicant should have a minimum score of 270 in HSK Test (Level 3) and should submit a HSKK score report. Students who are still studying in China after 1st January. 2017 are not eligible for this scholarship.
3. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students: This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. Applicant should have no prior experience of studying in China.
3.1 Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (TCSOL): This category provides full scholarship to TCSOL teachers, Confucius Institute (Classroom) students and Chinese major students who prepare to apply for Bachelor’s Degree in TCSOL. Applicant should have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 3) and should submit a HSKK score report.
3.2 Chinese Language & Literature: This category provides full or partial scholarship to students and scholars who major in Chinese Communication/promotion. Applicant should have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 3) and should submit a HSKK score report.
4. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students: This category provides full scholarship for 4 weeks. The program provides Chinese Language course and Home-Stay experience to Confucius Institute (Classroom) registered student group (10 to 15 students). Applicant should submit a HSK score report and should have no prior experience of studying in China.
II. Scholarship Coverage and Standard
Confucius Institute Scholarship consists of full scholarship and partial scholarship. Full scholarship covers tuition fees, free accommodation on campus, living allowance (not include Four-week Study students) and comprehensive medical insurance fee. Partial scholarship covers tuition fees, free accommodation on campus and comprehensive medical insurance fee. The living allowance is RMB 3,000 per month for MTCSOL students and RMB 2,500 per month for One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study students .
Tianjin University provides free accommodation in Liu Yuan (Double Room). Applicants who apply to live in You Yuan (Single Room) need extra payment: RMB 60/day/room. Please click here to get more information about accommodation in Tianjin University.
III. Program Schedule
IV. Admission Procedure
1. Applicant can log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to look for Recommending Institutions and Host Institutions, to complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form on line, and upload scanned copies of relevant supporting documents. The deadline is as follows.
2. Recommending Institutions, Tianjin University and Hanban will verify application materials on line and select outstanding applicants. Hanban will grant full or partial scholarship to successful applicants. Applicant can check the application process, materials review and admission results on line.
3. After confirming with the successful applicants, Tianjin University will post Letter of Admission, Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China (JW202 Form) and other relevant documents to Recommending Institutions.
V. Application Documents
Applicants should log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, fill out the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form online and upload scanned copies of the following documents. If the following documents are not in Chinese or English version, notarization documents should be provided.
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page;
2. Score reports of the HSK, HSKK (within two-year validity);
3. Certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation);
4. Certificate of an official transcript;
5. Recommendation letter signed by the head of the Recommending Institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. TCSOL teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for);
6. Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Applicant who is able to provide notarized employment agreement upon graduation has priority of admission;
7. Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students are required to provide a study or research plan of no less than 800 words in English or Chinese.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with Tianjin University on time should inform us about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
Address: International Admissions Office (Room 205, No.10 East Building), Tianjin University.
No.92, Weijin Road, Nankai District, Tianjin 300072, China Tel: +86-22-27403107